The Tech department has spent the last two terms working alongside primary teachers from local schools to train them to deliver Design Technology lessons to children at key stage 1 & 2.
Five sessions have been planned altogether to support primary teachers in gaining a more in-depth knowledge and understanding of the skills needed to prepare primary school students so they have a better understanding of technology subjects by the time they reach secondary school.
In November 2018, Mr Reeves delivered the first session, focusing on a Food and Nutrition workshop. In this session Mr Reeves taught teachers how to deliver:
- basic cookery skills with practical examples
- explore the importance of health, safety and hygiene needs in a practical setting
- introducing simple nutrition to projects
In January 2018 Mrs Kearney delivered the second session, a Pneumatics (engineering & electrical circuits) Workshop. Mrs Kearney taught teachers how to:
- apply elements of pneumatics to Design and Technology projects
- create an electrical and pneumatic controlled buggy
There are three more planned workshops, with two sessions dedicated to Textile design and Mechanical Systems.