Textiles – the creation of designs and products for woven, knitted, stitched, printed or decorative textiles that might have a functional or non-functional purpose.
On this course, you will experiment with…
- art textiles
- fashion design and illustration
- costume design
- constructed textiles
- printed and dyed textiles
- surface pattern
- stitched and/or embellished textiles
- soft furnishings and/or textiles for interiors
- digital textiles
- installed textiles.
Skills and Techniques
You will be required to demonstrate skills in all of the following:
- awareness of the elements of textile design, such as shape, line, scale, colour, texture, pattern, contrast and/or repetition in relation to the chosen area(s) of textile design
- awareness of intended audience or purpose for their chosen area(s) of textile design
- ability to respond to an issue, concept or idea, working to a brief or answering a need in the chosen area(s) of textile design
- appreciation of the relationship of form and function and, where applicable, the constraints of working to a brief
- understanding of a variety of textile methods, such as: fabric printing, mono-printing, relief printing, screen printing and laser printing; tie-dye and batik; spraying and transfer; fabric construction; stitching, appliqué, patchwork, padding, quilting and embroidery.
The course is 2 years long, and consists of 4 units.
AS Level (first year),
Unit 1- Coursework Portfolio
Unit 2- Exam project
A Level (second year),
Unit 3- Personal Investigation
Unit 4- Exam Project