English Literature involves the study of literary texts. This course focuses on exciting themes such as jealousy, love, obsession, murder, revenge and mental health. If you are interested in these themes, you will love the course!
In order to be great at this course, you must:
- Love reading
- Want to discuss themes of texts and analyse language, structure and form
- Provide alternative readings and make perceptive comments
- Be prepared to write extended essays
- Be good at remembering key references and quotes
What texts will I read?
- ‘Othello’ by William Shakespeare
- ‘The Great Gatsby’ by F.Scott Fitzgerald
- ‘Wuthering Heights’ by Emily Brontë
- ‘Ariel’ by Sylvia Plath
- ‘The Yellow Wallpaper’ by Perkins Gilman
- And many more!
Will I have to do coursework?
Yes! You get to write an extended essay in the second year of the course, focusing on two texts. You may also choose one of the texts yourself! This is fantastic if you prefer working independently and you like to have part of the course completed before you go into the exam.