16-19 Bursary Fund Application
The 16-19 Bursary Fund is paid by the Education Funding Agency (EFA) to Schools and Colleges. The 16-19 Bursary Fund provides financial support to help students overcome specific barriers to participation so they can remain in education.
There are 2 types of 16 to 19 bursaries:
- a vulnerable bursary of up to £1,200 a year for young people in one of the defined vulnerable groups
- discretionary bursaries which institutions award to meet individual needs, for example, help with the cost of transport, meals, books and equipment
- Students wishing to claim from the 16–19 Bursary Fund will fall into two categories. It is extremely important that you decide at this stage which of the two categories applies to you.
- Students who believe that they are eligible must apply by Monday 2nd October 2017 and must also supply the required evidence to support the application.
To be eligible for either type of bursary students must:
- be aged over 16 and under 19 at 31 August 2017
- meet the residency criteria in EFA 2017 to 2018 academic year funding regulations for post-16 provision
- be participating in provision that is subject to inspection by a public body which assures quality (such as Ofsted).
Students who are eligible and who meet the requirements of the funding will receive 4 half-termly payments over the course of the Academic Year, subject to meeting the conditions for study and conduct. The first payment will be early December 2017.
You must read this document carefully to ensure that you fully understand the requirements of the Bursary Fund and that do not miss important application deadlines which are non-negotiable.
Download: Post 16 Bursary Fund Application Form